It seems like when the weather gets cooler, people start craving cinnamon and spices. Cinnamon spice drinks and desserts are everywhere this time of year. To make it easier for you, we’ve compiled a list of the top 8 cinnamon spice drinks and treats of the year.
1. Everyone knows all about the Starbucks pumpkin spice latte. Food blog, “the kitchn” has a spectacular homemade pumpkin spice latte recipe that will blow the store-bought one out of the water. By using organic pumpkin and a special spice blend, you’ll never feel the need to go to a green lady logo coffee shop for a PSL again.
2. If you’re in the mood for dessert, but don’t want to put the time and effort into a homemade pumpkin pie, try Kenda Vaculin of Food 52’s Cinnamon Spice Rice Krispie Treat S’mores. The combination of the classic rice puff cereal treat and cinnamon, nutmeg and a chocolate coating will give you the spice fix you need in practically no time at all.
3. For an even simpler way to get that sweet and spicy fix with an apple twist, you can use Southern Living’s Warm Cinnamon Apples. Rich butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg combined with McIntosh apples over medium heat for a mere ten minutes and you have a delicious, warm and spicy treat.
4. If apples aren’t your thing, or you’re in the mood for something different, try bananas instead! Taste of Home has a recipe for cinnamon-spiced bananas that will knock your socks off. Even better? This is a microwave recipe that takes only five minutes to make, including preparation.
5. Having company over? Feeling gourmet? Then try this delicious combination chocolate and spices. McCormick Gourmet has a recipe for Molten Spiced Chocolate Cabernet Cakes. Using real vanilla, saigon, ginger and cloves, these cakes are certain to wow your guests.
6. If you love pizza, and you love dessert, then this recipe for Pumpkin Spice Dessert Pizza is exactly the combination you’re looking for. Butter, cinnamon sugar, real pumpkin and creamy condensed milk on top of a flaky pizza crust. Add some vanilla ice cream on top and enjoy!
7. You don’t have to give up the beloved cinnamon spice if you are having friends over for drinks. A spiced pumpkin eggnog is the perfect drink for a cold winter’s night. Combine pumpkin puree, cinnamon, allspice, heavy cream and dark rum for a spectacular holiday drink with friends.
8. Want something a little stronger? Consider making a Canelazo, an Ecuadorian spiced cinnamon rum drink. It’s made out of brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, orange and lime juice with aquardiente or rum. Exotic and warm, this is a great drink for an evening by a warm fire.
Any of these eight drinks and treats are a great choice if you’re going solo, or entertaining a large gathering with friends. Enjoy and Happy Holidays!
Photo credit: trophygeek / Foter / CC BY