After the big meal, there may be a fridge full of leftovers to contend with. The good news is, you can use these leftovers to make new and healthy meals during busy weeknights that your whole family will enjoy, and they don’t have to be just a rehash of the Thanksgiving meal! Turn your turkey Mexican with these healthy Tostadas. Making the crisped tostada shells yourself from corn tortillas is a healthier alternative to buying pre-made tostada shells.
4 servings, 2 tostadas each
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Diabetes appropriate | Low calorie | Low cholesterol | Low saturated fat | Heart healthy | Healthy weight | High calcium | High fiber | High potassium | Gluten free |
1 14-ounce can petite diced tomatoes, preferably with jalapeños
1 medium organic onion, thinly sliced
3 cups shredded cooked leftover turkey, or organic chicken (12 ounces)
8 corn tortillas
Canola or olive oil cooking spray
1 organic avocado, pitted
1/4 cup prepared organic salsa
2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1. Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven; preheat to 375°F.
2. Bring tomatoes and their juice to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and most of the liquid has evaporated, 15 to 20 minutes. Add turkey (or chicken) and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, coat tortillas on both sides with cooking spray. Divide the tortillas between 2 large baking sheets. Bake, turning once, until crisped and lightly brown, about 10 minutes.
4. Mash avocado in a bowl. Stir in salsa, sour cream and cilantro until combined.
5. To assemble tostadas, spread each crisped tortilla with some of the avocado mixture. Top with the turkey (or chicken) mixture, lettuce and cheese.
Calories; 15 g fat ( 5 g sat , 7 g mono ); 86 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 33 g protein; 8 g fiber; 621 mg sodium; 709 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Vitamin A & Vitamin C (20% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
Recipe from: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/crispy_turkey_tostadas.html