What could be better than a nice, hot cup of coffee on a cold winter morning? How about coffee cake to go with it? You don’t even need to feel guilty, as this coffee cake recipe is nutritious and healthy. It’s a great way to start your day!
Organic Oatmeal Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Written by Sharee Morris
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Makes 9 to 12 servings
2 large organic eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup maple syrup or raw honey
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup organic whole wheat flour
½ cup organic white flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup organic rolled oats
3 tablespoons unsalted organic butter
3 tablespoons maple syrup
¾ cup finely chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, or almonds)
½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9 inch square baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and then beat in the sour cream, maple syrup, oil and vanilla.
- In another bowl combine the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- Put the oats in a blender or food processor and pulse until reduced to a coarse meal. Stir into dry ingredients.
- Make the nut topping by melting the butter in a saucepan, add the maple syrup, nuts and coconut.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry; stir to just blend.
- Scrape batter into the prepared pan.
- Spoon the nut mixture evenly over the top.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the center of the cake is springy to the touch.
Recipe from: http://www.organicsoul.com/organic-oatmeal-sour-cream-coffee-cake/
If you are a bona fide coffee lover, you may enjoy tasting new brands and flavors. Here are some great organic coffees to pair with your delicious coffee cake:
Dean’s Beans Organic & Fair Trade Coffees: All of their coffees are Fair Trade, Organic Certified, shade grown and kosher certified. They are also working to become a 100 percent Carbon Neutral business! Try the mild Uprising! Breakfast Blend or the sweet Moka Sumatra.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters offers many varieties of Organic & Fair Trade coffees. They offer a basic Organic House Blend, or try something a little different with the Organic Ethiopian Yirgacheffe.
Jim’s Organic Coffee is imported directly from small farmers. Even though it isn’t Fair Trade Certified, the company pays above Fair Trade minimums for all their coffee. Try the 2 Souls Breakfast Blend for a light treat.