2 cups local organic grass-fed whole milk
1TBSP + 1 tsp. organic cornstarch
1 ½ oz. organic cream cheese, softened
1/8 tsp. fine sea salt
1 ¼ cups organic heavy cream
2/3 cup organic sugar
2 TBSP light corn syrup or tapioca syrup
1 vanilla bean split, seeds removed, and seeds & beans reserved
1 basic ice cream maker
1 storage container
- Mix 2 TBSP of milk with cornstarch in a small bowl to make smooth slurry.
- Whisk the cream cheese and salt in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Combine the remaining milk, cream, sugar, corn syrup, and vanilla seeds & beans in a 4-quart saucepan.
- Bring mixture to a rolling boil over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and gradually whisk in the cornstarch slurry.
- Bring the mixture back to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cook while stirring with a heatproof spatula, until mixture is slightly thickened (about 1 minute)
- Remove from heat and gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the cream cheese until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and place in the refrigerator for 4 hours or until chilled.
- Remove the vanilla bean.
- Pour the ice cream base into the frozen canister of the ice cream maker and spin until thick and creamy.
- Pack the ice cream in a storage container.
- Press a sheet of parchment paper directly against the surface and seal with an airtight lid.
- Freeze for 4 hours and serve.
*Vanilla bean image from Photo Dictionary
*Vanilla ice cream image from Gourmantine’s Blog
*Vanilla ice cream in mixer image from Food Migration