Beans are a healthy way to get your fiber, plus they are great at filling you up without a lot of fat or calories. Try to get organic beans without the added salt of many canned bean varieties for a healthier dish. Try these recipes, one with a Mexican twist and one that is a great addition to any barbeque, to make some tasty bean dishes your whole family will love!
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
Time: 15 minutes
16 ounces organic nonfat refried beans, spicy or mild depending on your preference
15 ounces of no-salt-added pinto beans, rinsed
1/2 cup prepared or fresh organic salsa
2/3 cup organic sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
4 organic scallions, sliced
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Combine refried beans, pinto beans, salsa and 1/3 cup cheese in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until the mixture is hot andthe cheese is melted, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Spoon the bean mixture into a 2-quart baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining 1/3 cup cheese and scallions.
- Broil until the cheese is lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
Recipe from: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/easy_fiesta_beans.html
Garden Veggie Burgers
1 can (16 ounces) organic black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 organic green bell pepper, diced
1 organic egg
1 package Organic Garden Vegetable Spaghetti Mix, or make your own with
cooked carrots, mushrooms, and spinach
1 tablespoon minced onion
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin seed
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3/8 cup uncooked quinoa or ½ cup bread crumbs
- If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly grease a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty. Stir the green bell pepper into the mashed beans.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg, Garden Vegetable Spaghetti Mix, onion, chili powder, cumin, and garlic. Combine with the mashed bean mixture. Mix in quinoa or bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
- If grilling, place the patties on foil and grill about 6 to 8 minutes on eachside. If baking, place patties on baking sheet and bake about 8 to 10 minutes per side.
Recipe from: http://www.simplyorganic.com/store.php?Screen=recipe&recipe=1931