Winnie the Pooh may have been on to something when he professed his love for honey. Honey is an amazing substance, and it is amazingly good for us to eat! Especially during the time of year when the weather changes and allergy sufferers are looking for some much needed relief, honey can be a natural, organic, effective remedy for the dreaded symptoms of seasonal allergies. Here are some delicious organic recipes using honey that can help relieve allergy symptoms, or just help you serve up a delicious meal or treat!
Honey Roasted Chicken
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 pounds)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or whole grain pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash of ground nutmeg
- 2 organic eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 bananas)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
- 1/3 cup organic honey
- 1/2 cup dark raisins or chopped walnuts
Note: To make muffins with evenly rounded tops, fill standard-size muffins cups no more than two-thirds full. If using large or jumbo muffin cups, fill each cup three-quarters full.
Recipe for chicken and muffins from: http://www.rodale.com/using-honey
Coconut Almond Cake with Organic Honey
Ingredients for cake: (makes 2 8-inch rounds)
1 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup arrowroot powder
1/2 cup almond flour (fine almond meal)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup Organic Honey
6 organic eggs
2/3 cup coconut oil
1 1/3 cup almond milk
2 Tbsp lemon juice
3/4 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease or line (with parchment) two 8-inch cake pans
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine coconut flour, arrowroot, almond flour, baking powder and salt, and whisk to mix well.
3. Add honey, eggs, coconut oil, almond milk, lemon juice, and vanilla and beat until well combined.
4. Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, but be careful not to over-bake! Cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting:
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tsp arrowroot
5 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
6 Tbsp Organic Honey
pinch of salt
1. Use an electric mixer to blend all ingredients together until well mixed and smooth.
2. Assemble cake – spread frosting on top of one of the cake rounds, then place the 2nd cake round on top. Cover the top and edges of the cake with remaining frosting.
Recipe from: http://bigislandbees.com/buzz/