Love pizza, but hate the sodium, fat and cholesterol content of most restaurant chain or bake-at-home-pizzas? There’s a better way to enjoy pizza, and you don’t even have to make it from scratch. Using fresh, organic ingredients, and only a few minutes of time during your busy weeknights, you can have these hot, delicious variations on traditional pizza pie on the table in no time.
BBQ “Chicken Wing” Pizza
Total time: 15min
- 1/2 C sliced organic celery
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 organic whole wheat pizza crusts
- 2/3 C organic barbecue sauce
- 1 C shredded cooked chicken
- 2 oz crumbled blue cheese
- organic olive oil cooking spray
- celery leaves
1. Prepare grill for medium-high heat.
2. Combine 1/2 c sliced celery with 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice and marinate 10 minutes.
3. Unwrap 2 whole wheat pizza crusts and lightly coat 1 side of each with organic olive oil spray.
4. Put crusts oil side down on grill and heat until bottoms are golden brown, about 2 minutes.
5. Flip crusts and spread evenly with 2/3 c barbecue sauce.
6. Sprinkle 1 c shredded cooked chicken and 2 oz crumbled blue cheese evenly over top of crusts.
7. Grill until bottoms are golden brown, about 2 minutes longer. Remove.
8. Top pizzas with drained marinated celery and garnish with celery leaves.
9. Cut each pizza into 4 slices.
Healthy Recipe Courtesy of Rodale Recipe Finder,
posted at: http://www.organicgardening.com/cook/bbq-chicken-wing-pizza
All the delicious taste of pizza, but without the bread!
1 boneless chicken breast, pounded flat if thick
Salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning, to taste
1 tablespoon organic pizza sauce
4 slices organic pepperoni
1 teaspoon butter or oil
2 fresh organic mushrooms, sliced
2 thin organic green pepper rings
1 ounce mozzarella cheese, shredded
Season the chicken with salt and other seasonings; grill. Meanwhile, sauté the mushrooms and pepper rings in butter or oil until slightly tender, but not mushy; set aside. Spread the sauce over the chicken, then top with the pepperoni, the pepper rings, mushrooms and then finally, the cheese. Sprinkle with a little additional Italian seasoning, if desired. Bake at 350º about 10-15 minutes or until hot and the cheese is melted. Serve at once.
Makes 1 serving
Can be frozen but the peppers will get soft
Per Serving: 310 Calories; 16g Fat; 36g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
Recipe from: Jax Skinny Friends– Weight loss support group