Nothing tastes better in the heat of summer than a fresh, ripe tomato! here’s two recipes featuring tomatoes that are healthy, organic, and delicious.
Tomato Basil Salad
6 medium green heirloom, yellow, and red tomatoes (about 3 pounds), cut into wedges
1 small Vidalia or other sweet onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
1. Place tomatoes and onion in serving bowl.
2. In small saucepan, heat vinegars and sugar over medium heat about 1 minute or until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Remove saucepan from heat; whisk in oil, garlic, salt, and pepper.
3. Pour warm dressing over tomato mixture; sprinkle with basil and toss gently to coat. Let stand 30 minutes to blend flavors. Toss before serving.
Recipe from: http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/recipes/tomato-basil-salad-0711
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 1 brushetta pie
Serving Size: 2
1 cup shredded organic mozzarella cheese
1 tbsp almond meal/flour
1 tbsp coconut flour
2 tbsp organic pesto
1 whole tomato sliced
2-3 tbsp of fresh mozzarella
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Mix the first 4 ingredients together in a bowl and spread onto a greased piece of parchment paper.
Spread thinly and place into oven and cook for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
3. Remove from oven and spread pesto onto crust. Top with sliced tomatoes and some fresh mozzarella.
4. Put back into oven for 3-5 minutes just until the cheese is slightly melted.
5. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Recipe from: http://wholelifestylenutrition.com/recipes/appetizers-snacks/a-wholesome-organic-bruschetta-recipe/