We know it’s hard to pick all those delicious peas and not eat them right away, but once you see these delicious recipes to try, we hope you’ll be sure to save a few!
Cold Pea Soup with a Hint of Mint
Makes about 8 cups
Prep time: 45 min
- 1 small organic onion
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 pounds fresh or frozen organic peas
- 5 cups organic chicken stock or low-salt broth
- 1 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream (or 1/2 cup cream mixed with 1/2 cup plain organic yogurt)
Finely chop onion.
In a 4-quart heavy saucepan cook onion in butter with salt to taste over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened.
Add peas and 3 cups stock and simmer, uncovered, until peas are tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
Stir in mint and remaining 2 cups stock and remove pan from heat.
In a blender, purée soup in batches until very smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids), forcing each batch through a sieve into a large bowl. (Discard solids in sieve between batches.)
Whisk in cream (or cream-yogurt mixture) and salt and pepper to taste. If serving soup cold, chill, covered.