Grilled Eggplant Panini
Makes: 4 sandwiches
Total Time: 35 minutes
2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
8 1/2-inch slices organic eggplant
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
8 slices whole-grain country bread
8 thin slices fresh organic mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup sliced jarred roasted red peppers
4 thin slices red organic onion
1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Combine mayonnaise and basil in a small bowl. Using 1 tablespoon oil, lightly brush both sides of eggplant and sprinkle each slice with garlic salt. With the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, brush one side of each slice of bread.
3. Grill the eggplant for 6 minutes, turn with a spatula, top with cheese, and continue grilling until the cheese is melted and the eggplant is tender, about 4 minutes more. Toast the bread on the grill, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
4. To assemble sandwiches: Spread basil mayonnaise on four slices of bread. Top with the cheesy eggplant, red peppers, onion and the remaining slices of bread. Cut in half and serve warm.
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/eggplant_panini.html From EatingWell: August/September 2005, The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Grilled Vegetable & Feta Panini
Makes: 2 servings
Total Time: 30 minutes
1 small organic eggplant, (about 8 ounces)
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 4-ounce jar roasted red peppers, (about 1/3 cup), rinsed and chopped
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
Pinch of crushed red pepper
2 crusty whole-wheat rolls
1. Preheat grill or broiler to high.
2. Cut eggplant crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. If using a grill, oil the grill rack. Brush 1/2 teaspoon oil over both sides of the eggplant. Grill or broil until it is lightly browned and tender, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Let cool slightly. Coarsely chop the eggplant and combine with red peppers in a small bowl. Season with pepper.
3. Mash feta with a fork in a small bowl. Add lemon juice, oregano, crushed red pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil; blend until smooth and spreadable. Season with pepper.
4. Slice rolls in half horizontally and scoop out about 1 inch of the soft interior from each half. Divide and spread the seasoned feta in the bottom half of each roll. Spoon the chopped eggplant and peppers over the cheese and replace the top half of each roll.
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/grilled_vegetable_feta_panini.html From EatingWell: May/June 1995, EatingWell Serves Two, The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)