Choose a slightly tart apple variety such as McIntosh, Granny Smith, Northern Spy, Roman Beauty or Braeburn for great flavor.
Makes one 9-inch pie.
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
6 cups thinly sliced pared organic apples
2 tablespoons butter
Crumble Topping Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup firm butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
Heat oven to 425ºF.
1. Mix sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Stir in apples.
2. Turn into pastry-lined pie plate.
Make the Crumble Topping:
1. Mix and press together, using just your fingers, until all the flour and sugar are absorbed into the butter and there are large flat flakes.
2. Use the crumble to cover the entire pie.
1. Tuck pie crust under to make a nice ridge.
2. Bake the pie 40 to 50 minutes, until the juice begins to bubble through.
3. Five minutes before all the baking is complete, slowly pour 1/2 cup fresh heavy cream over the top of the pie. Return to oven for 5 minutes.
Allow the pie to cool down before serving.
Recipe from: http://simpledailyrecipes.com/8867/organic-apple-pie-all-made-from-scratch/