On a day to day basis, our bodies encounter countless toxins. Whether it’s ingested through less than healthy foods, or absorbed through the environment, our bodies can take a beating. One way to help eliminate these toxins is to go through a detoxification process, or “detox.”
Your liver is the filter for your body. Over time, toxins can build up in your liver. An overloaded liver is like the first domino of health problems; once it falls over, it will lead to progressively more serious problems.
A detox is a cleansing process. Specifically, a liver detox is a great way to flush out the toxins in your liver. There are a few different approaches to detoxification. Here are the 3 most common short term detoxes:
● Fruit Detox
○ This detox is a simple one. You eat only fruit for a period of approximately seven days.
● Liquid Fast
○ For this detox you do not eat solid food, you drink liquids only for a period of two to three days. This does not include sugary drinks like soda or coffee. Stick to just water or juice with no sugar added.
● Fruit and Vegetable Detox
○ This is the same as a fruit detox, only you allow yourself vegetables as well during the seven day period.
After completing a detox, you will likely notice an increased feeling of health and higher energy levels. A periodic short term detox is a good way to flush your body of the toxins you’ve picked up. However, if you go back to eating processed food with poor nutritional value, you will soon find yourself feeling tired and worn down again.
One way to maintain a healthy liver and healthy body is to make sure you eat properly. There are some foods that naturally aid your body in getting rid of the toxins you pick up. Make these 7 organic foods a regular part of your diet and you can maintain a healthier liver (and body) on a long-term basis.
1. Garlic: Garlic is a cleansing superstar. Garlic contains a high amount of sulphur, which activates the enzymes your liver needs to flush itself out. It’s also high in allicin and selenium, which also aid the liver in cleansing.
2. Broccoli Sprouts: While a head of broccoli certainly is healthy, it doesn’t have near the power that broccoli sprouts have. Broccoli sprouts are a super-concentrated form of broccoli, containing stellar levels of antioxidants that will flush out your liver.
3. Mung Beans: Though they are small, mung beans have a big impact! They absorb toxins that may be lingering in your digestive tracts.
4. Grapefruit: This oversized citrus is high in vitamin C and antioxidants, which boost your liver’s production of the enzymes it needs to flush out lingering toxins.
5. Turmeric: While turmeric is only a spice and not a food, per se, it’s a powerful way to boost those necessary cleansing enzymes in your liver.
6. Asparagus: This spring vegetable is a natural diuretic, making it easier for your kidneys and liver to release dietary carcinogens.
7. Walnuts: Walnuts are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, another key to supporting the liver’s natural cleansing process, especially neutralizing ammonia.
If you desire, do a short term cleanse so you can have a fresh start. Then make sure to keep the above organic foods a part of your regular diet to keep your liver and body free of toxins.
Photo credit: dullhunk / Foter / CC BY