4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
2 large scallions
1 lb. fresh asparagus (in season)
1/2 c. fresh organic basil, chopped
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 1/2 c panko flakes
3 TBSP organic white chia seeds
9 TBSP water
dash of kosher salt to taste.
- Carefully wash and slice asparagus into chunks. Heat water to a rolling boil on high heat and place the cut asparagus in the pan. Boil the asparagus until tender enough to mash.
- While the asparagus is boiling, coarsely grate the potatoes and squeeze out the excess fluid to prevent soggy latkes.
- Grind chia seeds in a grinder until they are a light powder. In a small bowl, combine the chia seeds with the water (1:3 ratio). When combined, the chia seeds and water will form a gelatinous mixture.
- Chop scallions into small discs and chop fresh basil into small strips. Set aside in a separate bowl.
- Coarsely grate cheese and add to scallions.
- Also add the chia seeds/water mixture, garlic, salt, and panko flakes to the scallions.
- Remove cooked asparagus from the stove and drain in a colander sitting in a bowl. Place asparagus in a medium size bowl and mash with a potato masher. (Recycle the vitamin rich asparagus water on plants or garden when cooled).
- Add all of the ingredients together in one bowl and mix by hand until evening distributed.
- Form the mixture into thin, flat patties.
- Heat 1-2 TBSP olive oil on medium heat in a skillet. When the oil is warm (test with a drop of water to see if the oil sizzles), place two latke patties in the oil and cook until brown on both sides.
- Serve right off the skillet for best results. Accompany these latkes with hummus dressing.
*organic potatoes, asparagus, and garlic can replace conventional vegetables for a completely organic recipe.
*remove cheese from recipe to make vegan