Moroccan Spiced Chickpea Soup
- 1Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, medium diced
- 3-4 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper or ¼ tsp. red pepper powder
- 1 heaping tsp. sweet paprika
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 3 (15-ounce) cans Libby’s Organic Garbanzo Beans (a.k.a. chickpeas), drained and rinsed well
- 1 quart Wolfgang Puck’s Organic Vegetable Broth
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (5-10ounce) package pre-washed baby spinach or frozen spinach to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until the onions begin to turn translucent; lower heat if browning starts to occur.
- Add spices and sauté a minute or so. Add tomatoes, garbanzo beans, broth, and sugar. Season with a couple pinches of salt and 10 grinds fresh pepper. Stir well. Garbanzo beans should be just covered with liquid. If level is shy, add some water so the garbanzo beans are just covered.
- Bring to a simmer, then lower heat to low and gently simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and add to blender in two batches. Blend on high for 30 seconds until lightly chunky. Stir in the spinach and let heat through until wilted, just a couple minutes.
- Season again, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Original Recipe from The Picky Eater